Have you ever wondered how many calories were in that last cup of coffee you drank? The good news is – if it was just a plain cup of coffee … probably not many at all.
I’ve often wondered “how many calories in coffee”? To answer this question lets look at some different forms of coffee and the extras that you can put in your drink.
Let’s start with instant coffee. A 6 oz cup of instant coffee made with a rounded teaspoon of powder is approximately 4 calories.
What about a plain cup of brewed coffee? An 8 oz cup of brewed coffee is about 2 calories. Now let’s look at the extras:
- add 2 tbsp of half & half – 42 calories
- add 2 tbsp of whole milk – 20 calories
- add 2 tbsp of 2% milk – 17 calories
- add 2 tbsp of plain powdered dairy creamer – 68 calories.
What about some of the specialty coffee drinks you might buy at the local coffee shop? Let’s look at some examples:
- Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino has about 390 calories.
- A McDonald’s Mocha is 330 calories
- Dunkin Donuts Coffee Coolatta with cream is roughly 400 calories.
The conclusion is that you don’t need to worry too much about extra calories if you drink basic coffee. If weight loss is one of your priorities then you should be careful about your consumption of specialty coffee. It might be easier said then done – I know how tempting it can to walk into Starbucks and order a nice specialty latte every now and then.